Faculty Member – Marjan Boerma
Marjan Boerma, PhD
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Member, Division of Radiation Health
E-mail address: email@example.com
- Dr. Boerma received a PhD degree in Radiation Biology from Leiden University, The Netherlands, in 2004.
- Dr. Boerma is Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS), member of the College of Pharmacy Division of Radiation Health, and scientist at Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System (CAVHS).
- Dr. Boerma’s research, which focuses on cancer survivorship issues, particularly radiation-induced heart disease, risks of cardiovascular disease from exposure to radiation during space travel, and development of medical countermeasures against nuclear accidents or terrorism, has led to >50 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters.
1. Vijayalakshmi Sridharan, Preeti Tripathi, Sunil Sharma, Eduardo G. Moros, Junying Zheng, Martin Hauer-Jensen, Marjan Boerma. Roles of sensory nerves in the regulation of radiation-induced structural and functional changes in the heart. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2014;88:167-174 [PMID: 24331664]
2. Vijayalakshmi Sridharan, Nukhet Aykin-Burns, Preeti Tripathi, Kimberly J. Krager, Sunil K. Sharma, Eduardo G. Moros, Peter M. Corry, Grazyna Nowak, Martin Hauer-Jensen, Marjan Boerma. Radiation-induced alterations in mitochondria of the rat heart. Radiation Research 2014;181:324-334 [PMID: 24568130]
3. Marjan Boerma, Junru Wang, Vijayalakshmi Sridharan, Jean-Marc Herbert, Martin Hauer-Jensen. Pharmacological induction of transforming growth factor-beta1 in rat models enhances radiation injury in the intestine and the heart. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e70479 [PMID: 23936211]