Geriatric Specialty Residency Experiences
Geriatric Specialty Residency Patient Care Experiences
Direct patient care experiences that are core to attainment of competency in both institutional and ambulatory care settings as follows:
- Acute Care of the Elderly (ACE) Unit-specialized unit designed to promote independence and prevent functional decline in hospitalized older adults. Resident will round with interprofessional team, assess patients for medication-related problems, perform medication reconciliation and provide patient counseling.
- Geriatric Consult Service-specialty consult service providing recommendations to a host of inpatients with medical problems such as pain management, delirium, infections, hypertension, and malnutrition. Resident will round with interprofessional team, assess patients for medication –related problems and provide recommendations for resolution.
- Markham St. Rehabilitation-transitional care unit for patients discharged from the hospital requiring rehabilitation. Resident will assess patients and provide recommendations to correct drug-related problems to the physician and nurse practitioner responsible for their care.
- Thomas & Lyon Longevity Clinic-primary and specialty clinics for patients over the age of 65. Resident will participate in Anticoagulation Clinic, Medication Therapy Assessment Clinic and with primary care practitioners to assess, evaluate and treat ambulatory care problems.
- House Calls program-physician and nurse practitioners make house calls in the surrounding area to frail, homebound seniors. Resident will also make house calls with a clinician to assess and intervene in drug-related problems.
- Palliative Care Service– focused upon pain and symptom management for patients with cancer, dementia or other end-of-life conditions. Resident will meet with patients, assess needs, make recommendations to the health care team and provide patient/family counseling.
Elective Opportunities include resident involvement with UAMS patient care services such as inpatient teams, consult services or clinics. Opportunities at the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System or in local clinics or institutions may also be arranged such as private geriatrics clinic, home health, assisted living/senior housing, long-term care, and quality improvement/assurance.